1. Apply the base coat yourself: To keep costs down, ask around to your family and friends, I'm sure you'll be able to find someone who is willing to help you base coat. Then the artistic work can be applied to the base layer.
2. If the wall paint is less than 1.5 years old, and in good condition: Work with the existing wall base color, to do a color change. By using the base, and adding glazes, you can have a dramatically different looking room with half the effort, and a great new look.
3. Have a 'Trompe L'oeil decorative painted boarder' added around a room or in selected areas: This works great in any room. Most clients have done this in hallways, kitchens and bathrooms. When you add a vine, or flowers to any wall color, you instantly get a different feel, and colors you never knew will start to shine through the room. Give the impression to guests that you got the whole room re-painted.
4. Paint the ceiling with a faux or decorative flowers: That's right, look up in your home. These often neglected spots in the home are a sure way to give any space a 'wow' factor with out re-doing the whole room, with minimal costs compared to a whole-room re-paint, the ceiling is a great spot to get a change.
5. Add a Decorative Accent wall: By picking one wall in a room, and applying a decorative paint finish(faux), stencil or bold pattern, you can easily update any room for any season or change.
Related Post: Decorative Painting Services For Wedding And Event Planners